A legal luminary in Ogun State has identified possible issues that will be determined by court shortly after the elections, if PDP wins any of the position. The court will determine who is actually the party leadership and Candidate in the state.
Umpire Times reports that, Lagos-based human rights lawyer, Gboyega Okenla has expressed concerns over imbroglio rocking the party in the State. He expressed reservation about chances of PDP to defeat the ruling party in the State. He stressed that, ‘my opinion doesn’t matter as I am not a judge. But I have independently and in a private manner expresses my legal reasoning on the subject matter to those who contacted me for my opinion.’
According to him, the following issues will no doubt be listed for determination after the elections:
- Did both Buruji Kashamu and Ladi Adubutu emerges through a due process in conformity to the Party Constitution.
- Had the PDP National working Committee erred in not strictly complying with an existing court order as at the time of the party primaries.
- Did the emergence of Senator Buruji Kashamu as the Party Candidate was in line with Party stipulated guidelines for Primaries.
- Can the expulsion of Senator. Buruji Kashamu from the Party be legally justified. In what instance can expelled member be a party flagbearer.
- Does the Supreme Court Judgement touches on the activities of State Chapters of PDP and clearly establishes who the authentic leadership of the Ogun State Executive was at that period in time.
- Does the NWC of PDP had the constitutional powers to overide a court order prohibiting the NWC from dissolving or metting any punitive measures on Dayo led executive while the matter still in court.
- What is the legal cumulative effect and possible impact of the court of appeal judgement that sets aside the judgement that empowers the legitimacy of Bayo Led Exco and the subsequent striking out of the suit filed at the Supreme court by the Buruji faction to contest the judgement of the appeal court.
- Had both Parties acted in good faith and in a proportional manner in consonance with the provisions of Law and the Party constitution with regards to the conduct and exercise of the Party Primaries.
Obviously, they are issues for determination to be addressed at the court before we know who is the authentic PDP Candidate.
Meanwhile, reports before Umpire Times has that some of the party bigwigs in the state, especially loyal to Hon. Adebutu have resolved to defect to opposition party. For instance, a former party senatorial Chairman in Ogun Central, Alhaji Amode is on his way to Allied Peoples’ Movement (APM).
Umpire Times reports that clandestine meeting held in his house recently with APM party leadership to finalize his defection. His possible defection is said to be as a result of the lingering internal division in the party, especially that his candidate, Hon. Adebutu was not given the ticket.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had on Thursday, 31st of January, 2019 published the name of Senator Buruji Kashamu as the Ogun State PDP Governorship Candidate in the March 2 Governorship election.
Adebutu had been locked in a long-drawn battle with Kashamu for the Ogun State PDP Governorship ticket until Kashamu’s name was released last Thursday by the electoral umpire.
Gboyega Okenla is a country representative of an International NGO, Human Rights and Law Defenders Initiative with headquaters in United Kingdom.